Good evening everyone! I hope you all had a terrific Tuesday!
Today we started off with SSW because we only have two rotations this week for core classes.
Next, we had a few housekeeping topics to cover.
- The first was permission slips for the college fair. These need to be turned in by Wednesday (tomorrow) because college fair is on Thursday. There were a handful of people who have not turned those in so if you are one of those people, and plan to go to college fair, then turn those in.
- Mr West gave us a wonderful pink handout which must be filled out at college fair. We must choose three different colleges and answer the three questions on the sheet. Now, many questions were asked about this and it is not necessary to complete this worksheet for a grade in any core classes but if you want to please Mr. West then you should fill it out. It’s a quick three questions which are easy to answer if you talk to the people representing the colleges. If you did not get one of these pink forms then I believe Mrs. Edwards has extra copies.
- BaBS forms are due this Friday. All you need to do is sign the first page o the Build a Better School project packet and get your mom/dad/guardian to sign it and viola, you are done. Just give it to Mrs. Edwards and you have completed that assignment.
We then had an editing activity where we were given two paragraphs to edit/revise. After reading the first paragraph you totaled all the mistakes you caught and repeated the same process for the second paragraph. This was a timed assignment so when time was up we turned it in to either Mrs. Edwards or Miss. Hernandez.
We then went over the process of Writing Workshop. Mrs. Edwards told us Writing Workshop days begin with a mini lesson no longer than 15 minutes. Today we covered two mini topics via Powerpoint. If you would like to revisit this powerpoint, or need to see it for the first time you can find it Here (as soon as I get the link from Mrs. Edwards)
- Two main points from these mini lessons
- “Editing is making your writing correct, revising is making your writing better” This was said to us by Mrs. Edwards today during the second mini lesson. When we write we should edit, making grammar and spelling corrections, and revise, rewriting and adding to our essay, to eliminate all errors and make our essays flow.
- Also, before you go straight to Mrs. Edwards or Miss. Hernandez to correct your essays, make sure you proof read your own work and have at least two editors read your work before asking for the teachers to correct it. You want to impress them with your writing skills.
Finally, we began our rubric presentations again. Today we started with Group F because we only had ten minutes left in class. We did not finish these presentations yet so next class block we will start back up with Group F and continue on from there.
Sorry for such a long post today, we covered a lot in class.