Use Graff/Birkenstein’s They Say/I Say template to identify, pull apart, and respond to the article. Your response should be at least 250 words and should:
1. Have a clever title properly capitalized.
2. Use They Say/I Say template to fully develop both the author’s and the writer’s arguments.
3. Accurately identify a central claim of the article.
4. Appropriately lead into, blend, parenthetically cite, and discuss at least one quote or key fact/statistic from the article.
5. Explain each quote and discuss your reaction to it (agree or disagree).
6. Have concluding sentences.
Graff/Birkenstein’s They Say / I Say template:
The general argument made by author X/the article in her/his/the work, _____________ , is that _____________. More specifically, X/the article argues that ______________. She/he/it writes, “_______________________.” In this passage, X/the article is suggesting that _________________. In conclusion, X’s/the article’s belief is that _____________.
In my view, X/the article is wrong/right, because ___________________________. More specifically, I believe that _____________________________. For example, __________ ________________________________________. Although X/the article might object that ___________________ , I maintain that ___________________________. Therefore, I conclude that _______________________________________________.