Use Graff/Birkenstein’s They Say / I Say template to identify, pull apart, and respond to the article. Your response should be at least 250 words and should:
- Have a clever title properly capitalized.
- Use They Say / I Say template to fully develop both the author’s and the writer’s arguments.
- Accurately identify a central claim of the article.
- Appropriately lead into, blend, parenthetically cite, and discuss at least one quote or key fact / statistic from the article.
- Explain each quote and discuss your reaction to it (agree or disagree).
- Have concluding sentences.
Graff/Birkenstein’s They Say / I Say template:
The general argument made by author X in her/his work, _____________ , is that _____________. More specifically, X argues that ______________. She/he writes, “_______________________.” In this passage, X is suggesting that _________________. In conclusion, X’s belief is that _____________.
In my view, X is wrong/right, because ___________________________. More specifically, I believe that _____________________________. For example, __________ ________________________________________. Although X might object that ___________________ , I maintain that ___________________________. Therefore, I conclude that _______________________________________________.